July 22, 2010

MM

 photo by Rob Ingram


There are so many accolades one could give for 
Mr. Matthew Mayfield. After all, he was ranked #1 on the iTunes Singer/Songwriter chart after a mere two days of release, has played numerous shows across the country with the likes of Pete Yorn and Needtobreathe,  released 6 EP's within the past year alone, was named the #6 "Fastest Rising Band" by Next Big Sound after performing at this year's SXSW, and has had two songs on Grey's Anatomy {including the 100th episode}... just to name a few. But, I know Matthew for his undoubtedly humble and kind spirit. So I asked my friend just a few questions, and this is what he had to tell me... 
q: so what's the story... how did the whole "music thing" happen for you? 
a: I used to lie awake in my bunk bed as a little boy and listen to my dad play old Neil Young, James Taylor, and the Beatles on guitar in the next room. It always made me cry. I never understand why though. The melodies to 'Blackbird' and 'Old Man' and 'You Can Close Your Eyes' felt so heavy on my spirit. They still do. After that, I was stuck on it. Then I stumbled on this little gem when I turned 10 and it sealed the deal.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RVafrte16o
I was either gonna be a rocknroll star or a bank robber/surfer like Patrick Swayze in 'Point Break'. Music was a healthier option I suppose. It also made my mother a lot happier.
photo by Cary Norton.
q: what provides you with the greatest inspiration?
a: I'm inspired by the song. I want to write songs that people can sing back at me the way I sing back at my favorite artists. That's the Magic. That's what roped me in as a kid. There's a mystery with rocknroll music that changed my whole life at a really young age. I was OBSESSED with it. In a lot of ways, I still am.
photo by Rob Ingram. 
q: what project are you most proud of?
a: We just finished the full length and it's by far the best thing I've ever been a part of. But of the released material, my favorites at the moment are 'By Your Side,' 'Open Road' and 'Safe & Sound.' But ask me again tomorrow and that will have changed. Finicky.
photo by Bo Caples
q: what is it about music that you love?
a: I love the release. I love being able to change it up. I love being able to play a set and go from a folky acoustic thing to an anthemic arena thing to a nasty rocknroll thing. It allows me to get it all out of my system. It's the one thing I'm fully confident doing. I feel like a lost puppy in so many settings--but I'm at home with a guitar in my hands and a song under my tongue.
photo by Cary Norton
q: what is it that you look most forward to in this journey {professionally or otherwise}?
a: This life is full of way more downs than ups. I'm excited about attempting to change something with a song. It could be someone's mood for 4 minutes, the temperature in their room, or the way they watch the sun set driving down the interstate. Music has changed everything for me. I wanna be a part of that for other people.


Here is one of the latest videos of Matthew, enjoy:

Matthew has been in Nashville working diligently to record his full-length album this past month. So get ready because he promises for it to be the best he's got! For more on Matthew go to Pledge Music and MySpace.

where there is love (of the release), there is art. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interview! Mr. Mayfield has become one of my favorite artists and I feel so lucky to live in Birmingham and to be able to catch so many of his shows. Many of his songs have made their way into my heart and I can't wait to get my ears on the full length album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for introducing me! Love the work Hayden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Ansley. Nice interview. Matthew's artwork is definitely rising.
    ~ Texas Peace Promotions

    ReplyDelete