November 4, 2010

be the change.

once upon a time i was forever changed by a country called honduras. but i was not the only one... 
honduran sunset from inside an ancient chapel. 
lori connell inspired me as soon as i heard the words "fair trade" and "micro loan" fall from her mouth on a rooftop of a hotel in tegucigalpa, honduras. everything she said i thought, "oh man! you see... this is the type of woman i aspire to be." she puts a welcomed fire under my butt, to be more and to do more. i am sure she will do the same for you... she should.
q: where are you currently living and why?
a:I currently live in the capital city of Honduras- Tegucigalpa. I live there with my husband, Mark. I live in Honduras because of my work among the poor. It is a passion for me to lift women and children out of poverty. Ghandi once said "Be the change you want to be in the world" And Jesus once said "Go, and do the same" referring to helping those in need, that is my mission statement for life I guess. 
q: what is mi esperanza?
a: Mi Esperanza is a 503c non-profit that means “My Hope” and began in 2002 with a vision to provide assistance for women in the villages surrounding Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Providing micro-business loans and skills training to women living in extreme poverty does this. Many of the women are single mothers who are supporting their families without any type of assistance or opportunity to change their life circumstances. Their lives are about survival and trying to meet the most basic of needs of life; food, clean water, education, healthcare and shelter. Through Mi Esperanza, women are finding a new sense of hope, self-empowerment and stability. Mi Esperanza brings HOPE to women, young and old, by giving them educational and financial tools that enable them to change their lives and the future of their children.










q: how was this vision birthed?
a: I traveled to Honduras for the first time in 1999 with a mission team that meets immediate needs of those living in extreme poverty. I was struck IMMEDIATELY by the plight of women and HOW HARD life is for them. The women in Honduras have no opportunity, no education, which means no hope for a different life. I was driven to do something to break that cycle.


q: who/what do you LOVE?
a: Well, I love God, I love my husband, I love my children, my grandchildren, I love my sisters. I love good food, I have a new love for running, I love photography, I love to cook, I love coffee, I love the ministry God has given me... I just LOVE...
lori and her real life love, her husband.
q: what work of art inspires you most?
a: the life of Mother Teresa inspires me, her life of simplicity and service and total abandon for the poor moves me in ways that go to the depth of my heart. 


please consider learning more, loving more, and giving more. go to: mi esperanza.
where there is love {coming from a beautiful place},
there is art. 

5 comments:

  1. I love you Lori Ann - so thankful and so blessed to have you as my loving sister-in-law. Thanks for what you do, thanks for loving my brother as you do. You brag on girl - you have that right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lordi
    I am so proud of you.The picture of you and Mark made me cry. I Love You very much .Thank You for sharing our extended family in Honduras with me they have changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep this lady is one of my present day heroes as well. inspiring, genuine, and passionate about loving people...well done on this post. :) i love you dona!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a kindred spirit!! Amazing to see others who understand that creating opportunity is what breaks the vicious cycle!! Lori is beautiful in every way! Love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiration! Keep up the good work God has given you.

    ReplyDelete